It likely will be one of the most difficult conversations you’ll ever have: Telling your parent or another loved one that it is time for them to move from their home into an assisted-living home.
While many assisted-living centers, like American Grand, come to be seen as comfortable new homes for most of their residents, often there is an initial level of frustration, fear, and regret with those who are facing such a major transition. However, finding quality assisted living can be a critical key for residents to more fully enjoy and thrive in their Golden Years.
Is your loved one ready for assisted living?
So, you think it might be time for your parent or loved one to move into an assisted-living home, but how do you know for sure? Here some questions to ask while determining if the time is right to move.
- Is your loved one having trouble getting around his or her home? Mobility challenges are some of the first signs that your loved one might be best served living in an assisted-living home. If your family members are struggling to get around, for their own safety, the time might be right to consider assisted living. Furthermore, keep in mind not all homes are built alike, especially in terms of steps, elevated floors and narrow hallways that can limit a one’s mobility in their home.
- Have you noticed a deterioration in the cleanliness and upkeep of your loved one’s home? We all slow down as we age, but a sign your loved one might be best served by residing at an assisted-living home is if you notice a decline in their ability to care for their home. Senior and assisted living homes have people dedicated to the cleanliness of your loved one’s home and there is less stress or burden on them to get it done independently.
- Does your family member routinely leave his or her home? Social isolation is a concern as we age. Perhaps your loved one has trouble leaving his or her home due to health issues, a lack of transportation, or general comfortability. However, maintaining an active lifestyle is important to being happy and healthy as we age. American Grand residents enjoy a busy activities calendar with a variety of social events, while transportation is available to activities outside of the American Grand facilities.
- Has there been a decrease in your loved one’s personal hygiene? If you have noticed a loved one is no longer routinely bathing or laundering their clothes, the time might be right for him or her to move into an assisted living home. Perhaps your family member is no longer physically able to complete the tasks on a regular basis, or their memory is failing them in such a way that they simply forget to bathe. In either case, they can receive assistance with these tasks at an assisted-living residence.
- Have you noticed a change in your family member’s health? A natural decline in overall health is normal as we age. However, for many, there comes a time when the challenges of declining health might be too much for a loved one to cope with on their own. At an assisted-living home, they can receive help with everything from taking medication to enjoying healthy, balanced meals.
If you or your family member has additional questions about assisted living or would like to learn more about the assisted-living programs offered at American Grand, please call 920-585-6985 or send us a message today.